- 1 - 3.0 lb Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME
- 2 - 1.0 lb Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME
- 8 oz Briess Aromatic Munich Malt
- 4 oz Briess Extra Special Malt
- Note: All grain will be milled and packed in one bag
- 1 - 1 oz Tettnang Hops
- 1 - 1 oz Styrian Goldings
- 1 - Grain Steeping Bag
Yeast, Bottle Caps, Yeast Nutrient, and Priming Sugar NOT Included
HomeBrew4Less Homebrewing ingredient kits are built to order, please allow extra order processing time.
Note: You may have extra ingredients then you need to make this homebrew recipe due to standard packaging sizes, feel free to use them in another brewing recipe or boost the specs of this one.
You will need standard homebrewing equipment, bottles, etc - this kit is homebrew recipe ingredients only.
You may also need a scale to measure some of the ingredients (they are not pre-measured)
Mowing The Monastery Belgian Single
Referred to as an Enkel (“single” in Dutch,) or Patersbier (“father’s beer”,) the Belgian single is the “lawnmower” beer of the Belgian monks. This sessionable style does not get in the way of one’s daily endeavors like the higher gravity trappist styles would tend to do.
Style: Belgian / French Ales
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Recipe Type: Extract with grain
|3 lbs||CBW Pilsen Light DME||60 min boil|
|2 lbs||CBW Pilsen Light DME||0 min boil|
|0.5 lb||Aromatic Munich Malt||Steeping Grain|
|0.25 lb||Extra Special Malt||Steeping Grain|
|1 oz||Tettnang Hops (4.5% AAU)||60 min boil|
|1 oz||Styrian Goldings (6% AAU)||60 min boil|
|1 pack||WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast||NOT Included in kit|
|1 capsule||Servomyces Yeast Nutrient||10 min boil||NOT Included in kit|
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 154ºF and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains, and stir in 3 lbs CBW Pilsen Light DME.
- Bring water to a boil, add 1 oz of Tettnang hops.
- After 50 minutes, add 1 oz of Styrian Goldings hops and yeast nutrient.
- Boil 10 minutes, and turn heat off.
- Stir to dissolve 2 lbs Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME.
- Cool beer to 70ºF. Transfer to fermenter. Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch a pack of White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 66ºF - 72ºF
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 66ºF - 72ºF.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with ¾ cup dissolved priming sugar, and ¼ packet WLP530 yeast for 3-4 weeks.
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol by Weight:
Alcohol by Volume: 4.7%